Wednesday, February 17, 2010

















March 12th, 2009 was the best day of my life! I was on my way to the Dominican Republic with my school to live the life of an underprivileged teen for a week. It took about 4 hours of anxiousness and excitement to get there. But when we arrived it was better then anything I’ve ever seen.






The first thing we did when we got there was meet our families. These would be the families we would stay with for the week. We ate, slept and bathed here. Everything was a lot to get used to…I mean using a bucket to shower and having to sleep in a net (the bugs were bad) was a bit different then what I’m used to. My family was very welcoming. I felt right at home within minutes.





It wasn’t all fun and sun. The 3rd day we arrived, we went to the orphanage and were all given tasks. Mine was to do the weeding and fix up the garden. It was hard work but the feeling I felt when I was finished was a feeling like none other. I felt like I left my mark there.







After finishing up the outside of the orphanage, we went in for a couple hours to play with the kids. This was probably one of the hardest parts of this trip. They were so happy that we got to spend time with them and play. It was hard leaving but I new I made a difference.




When I got home I got some time to get to know my family better. We jumped rope, kicked around a ball, played tag and danced. It was so much fun.




I also helped my brother yonathan read and speak French. By the last day he was speaking sentences. He even wrote me a note!






The next day we headed out to see the “batin” there communities that live in a sugar cane field. This was heart breaking. We met a man, who lived off of only sugar cane juice; it was sad because one of my classmates did the trip the previous year and said she remembered that man. It was sad to see he was still stuck in the same situation.





It was incredible to see how happy the children were. I mean look at what they lived in, they had no
food to eat and barely shelter. This made me realize the meaning of life and value, and how lucky I really was.




Before I new it, it was done. My experience was done! But the memories and lessons I learned would forever stick with me. This was the hardest thing I think I ever had to do. Let go of the people who took me into there home and made me feel as I was there own. I had a long ride ahead of me, and a lot to think about! This, was my Dominican Experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment